Chinese Academy of Engineering
American Society of Women Engineers
Central South University
The Chinese Academy of Engineering is a national and independent organization composed of elected members with the highest honor in the community of engineering and technological sciences of the nation. Its missions are to initiate and conduct strategic studies, provide consultancy services for decision-making of nation's key issues in engineering and technological sciences and promote the development of the undertaking of engineering and technological sciences in China and devote itself to the benefit and welfare of the society.
Its functions are mainly in aspects as follows:
1. Bringing into full play the integrated advantages of its members who act as a group in multi-disciplinary, inter-departmental and inter-industrial, to take part in the decision-making for the national and regional economic development and social progress, undertake the studies, consultancy and evaluation of strategies for the construction of key projects and high-tech industries, and provide the central and local governments with suggestions for top-priority fields of development and orientation of key investment;
2. Organizing studies on issues of orientation and frontiers of key engineering science and technology, promoting capacity of innovation in industrial technology and raising the level of management science and engineering project;
3. Carry out extensively academic exchanges and cooperations at home and abroad at all levels and in various forms so as to create an open environment for the healthy growth of excellent young and middle-aged experts;
4. Energetically popularize science knowledge and enhance the publication in science and technology to make contributions to the promotion of the standard of engineering science and technology and the quality of workforce as well as the whole society in terms of science and culture in China;
5. Safeguard science ethics and carry forward the science spirit, and to promote vigorously the construction of socialist spiritual civilization.
The Society of Women Engineers (SWE), founded in 1950, is a not-for-profit educational and the largest global service organization devoted to the advancement of women in engineering and technology. SWE is the driving force that establishes engineering as a highly desirable career aspiration for women. To ensure SWE members reach their full potential as engineers and leaders, the Society offers unique opportunities to network, provides professional development, shapes public policy and provides recognition for the life-changing contributions and achievements of women engineers. As a champion of diversity, SWE empowers women to succeed and advance in their personal and professional lives.
For more than six decades, SWE has given women engineers a unique place and voice within the engineering industry. Our organization is centered on a passion for our members’ success and continues to evolve with the challenges and opportunities reflected in today’s exciting engineering and technology specialties.
Our mission is to stimulate women to achieve full potential in careers as engineers and leaders, expand the image of the engineering profession as a positive force in improving the quality of life and demonstrate the value of diversity.
Central South University (CSU) is situated in Changsha, a famous historical and cultural city in Hunan, China. As a top university directly under the Ministry of Education (MOE) of the People's Republic of China, CSU is one of the first universities admitted into “Project 211”, “Project 985”, “Plan 2011”. In 2017, CSU is selected as one of the universities in the Double first-rate construction.
CSU was established in April 2000 by a merger of the former Hunan Medical University (HMU), the former Changsha Railway University (CRU) and the former Central South University of Technology (CSUT). CSU has complete disciplinary systems for Non-ferrous Metals, Medicine, Rail Transit, etc., covering Philosophy, Economics, Law, Education, Literature, Science, Engineering, Medicine, Management and Art, and even Military Science. At present, it has 6 national key primary disciplines, 12 national key secondary disciplines, 1 national key discipline (in development) and 61 national key clinical specialties, and sets up 31 schools with 104 undergraduate majors, 29 primary disciplines authorized for the doctoral degree, 44 primary disciplines authorized for the master’s degree’.
CSU values moral education and high-quality cultivation, so it has been bettering its talent training model. It has over 55,000 full-time students, including over 34,000 undergraduates, over 20,000 graduate students and nearly 1,000 overseas students. The university has 57 national excellent courses, 8 national teaching teams and 7 national experimental teaching demonstration centers. Since it took the lead to set up the innovation-oriented experimental class for advanced engineering talents, it became a pilot university implementing MOE's education and training program for excellence engineers, excellent physicians and excellent legal talents.
CSU is an open university. It has established long-term cooperation with more than 200 universities and research institutes in over 20 countries and regions, such as the United States, the United Kingdom, Australia, Canada, Japan, France, Germany and Russia, and has been extensively engaged in industry-university-research cooperation with a large number of multinational enterprises. Overseas students from more than 100 countries and regions study here.